“The Twelve Days of Christmas” is a popular Christmas folk song. There are 30 days in June and I believe I had the opportunity to be involved in at least 30 different events and/or activities during the month of June.
1. Travel from Redmond, OR to St. Louis, MO for the 2014 Association of Gospel Rescue Missions (AGRM) National Conference. http://www.agrm.org/assnfe/ev.asp?ID=53
2. Dinner in St. Louis with friends from Union Rescue Mission, Wichita, KS to discuss GNI training.
3. Register as both a vendor (GNI) and attendee (TSH) at the AGRM Conference.
4. Set up the GNI vendor booth with over 50 other vendors at the AGRM Conference.
5. Attend general sessions, workshops, meetings, and one-on-one discussions with other rescue mission staff from throughout the country, many of which are interested in who and what we do at GNI and TSH.
6. Pick up Jarod (15) at the St. Louis Airport after his first solo air travel EVER. He loved the trip.
7. Travel 630 feet to the top of the Gateway Arch. http://www.gatewayarch.com/
8. Drive 14 hours (830 miles) from St. Louis to Washington, DC…Jarod slept and recovered from jet lag.
9. Have a snack at the top of Hotel Washington overlooking the White House and the National Mall.
10. Ride Segways for the first time for a 2 hour tour of Washington, DC. http://www.capitalsegway.com/
12. Eat out for every meal for 3 days in Washington, DC. We found that prices in DC are not that much different from Bend, OR.
13. Drive to Patrick Henry College in Purcellville, VA for the beginning of the 2014 NCFCA National Championship. http://www.ncfca.org/NationalEvents
14. Register Jarod as one of 528 competitors and one of 74 Duo Interpretation teams - they did not make the first round break of 32 teams out of the 74.
15. Judge a quarter final round of Team Policy Debate Competition on the resolution "that federal election law should be significantly reformed in the United States.” http://www.ncfca.org/TeamPolicyDebate
16. See “Panic Squad” improv team perform live at Patrick Henry College - hilarious clean family fun. http://www.panicsquad.com/
17. Fly home from Washington, DC after 2 weeks away from home.
18. Drop Jarod off in Prineville, OR - Junior Guide training with Peak 7 Adventures. http://www.peak7.org/
19. Drop Chad at Redmond Airport to begin his 50 day trip to the Boundary Waters of MN with Outward Bound. http://www.outwardbound.org/
20. Step back from the Women’s and Children’s facility purchase contract for a time until we can get more items in place to begin the project.
21. Experience a permit delay from the City of Bend for the "Healthy Kitchen Initiative Project" at TSH.
22. Visit Mom and Dad at home in Bend after traveling from CA back home to Bend for the summer.
23. TSH Graduation of 6 men - in 3 years we have had 3 graduations and 18 graduates.
24. Played frisbee golf with 3 of the guys during an “All House Activity Day” BBQ at Shevlin Park in Bend.
25. Spend a day at Smith Rock and Mckenzie Pass with staff from Light of Life Rescue Mission, Pittsburg, PA as they visited TSH to see and discuss the work of GNI.
26. Kiehl arrived from CA in Redmond for a visit with family and friends. It was great to have her home for a few days.
27. Attend Love INC board meeting as we move closer to launching Love INC of Central Oregon. http://loveinccentraloregon.org/
28. Attend TSH development meeting to discuss capacity building steps for TSH and prepare for future expansion. Step one is to begin the process of funding and hiring a Director of Development.
29. Enjoy discussions with a new Grace Group Beth and I have joined at church as we walk through Tim Keller’s “The Prodigal God” series. http://www.gospelinlife.com/the-prodigal-god-dvd-group-study.html#
30. Enjoy a picnic by the river with my bride and best friend on the last day of the month.
I don’t know how to say this, but, it was an amazing month, much of which we learned about and was unplanned as little as 30 days prior. Because of this, a lot of it was not really part of our regular anticipated budget and we had to exhaust our savings to make it happen. But we believe in the work and ministry of God in each and every one of us, including our children and those around us. Thank you for your prayers and support.